Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Crystals



I used to like crystals. In fact, in grade school I grew my own crystals on a rock in an empty soda bottle. It grew really quickly and had every color of the rainbow on it! I think there was even a girl in high school whose name was Crystal. And I like the restaurant Krystals, even though it's no where near as good as White Castle.
What I don't like are crystals that show up in a urinalysis. Which is what happened to me the other day at my GI appointment. Apparently crystals aren't supposed to be there and can be an indication of kidney stones! Lovely! So he decided that I should have an abdominal ultrasound done to look for these.
Yesterday was my day to have this test run. I'll start by saying that the entire test only lasted about 15 minutes. It was supposed to be a regular ultrasound focusing on the kidneys and bladder. What ended up happening was that the sonographer was so excited that she got to look at a baby instead of old people's kidneys all day that we spent 10-12 minutes looking at the baby and 3-4 on the kidneys! The sonographer was so funny! She kept telling me that she wasn't supposed to be doing this, but if I didn't mind then we would keep looking at the baby. We literally went from the top of her head to the soles of her feet and discussed how the baby looked in each view. We were able to see the ears, see that she was sucking her two fingers like Hook 'em Horns, her tongue was moving when she was drinking the amniotic fluid, we saw HER kidneys, her heart, her 10 fingers and toes, her legs crossed at the ankles and much, much more! I'm not kidding! We went through everything and the sonographer was giddy the entire time! Apparently the baby and I "scan" well. Good to know! I was loving it, but all I kept thinking was, "Greg is going to be so mad he's missing this!" Because we weren't supposed to be looking at the baby in the first place, she wasn't able to print out any pictures. But it was a fun experience anyway!
And my kidneys...well apparently that pain that I've been having at night is due to hydronephrosis. Which basically means something is blocking the tubes that let the fluid drain from the kidneys. It could be stones or it could be that the baby is sitting on them! Treatment: drink lots of water so I don't develop an infection and hopefully everything will be better once the baby is born. This pregnancy thing is not for sissies!

2 comments:

Ross Family said...

I hope everything does go away once she is born and you don't have any other problems. That is so great you were able to just sit and look at her like that. Congrats on being recognized for being preggo.

Katie England-Simms said...

You totaly had me confused when I started reading this lol. I was like oh goodness is Lisa into the healing power of crystals or something... That is so cool you got to see lil miss thang! I thought you would have pictures and then I got to the bottom. Boo. PS whats up with the pink background? ;o)