Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I'm changing professions!

While I'm waiting on Greg to get home from work, I thought I'd update the blog with my newest adventures. I think I should quit the Physical Therapy profession and become a professional truck driver! Before you all laugh until you cry, let me give you my reasoning. Tonight I had to go pick up Greg's truck and drive it all the way to Lewisville to pick up a trailer so that we can bring all the lake house stuff to Arkansas this weekend. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of driving Greg's truck by itself in the first place and feel the need to check my blind spot 4-5 times before switching lanes. OK, so I'm headed over there and we're doing great, no traffic (even though it's 6:30 in Dallas?!), get to the house and back the truck right up to the trailer! What?! I amaze myself sometimes! So then I have to hitch the thing on and hit something with a hammer to get it to lock in to place, then hook up the lights and the chains and then head to Quik Trip to fill the tires up with air! I don't know who Greg thinks he married. Anyway, so I fill up the tires with what I'm guessing is enough air because I don't have a tire gauge to measure the psi, hoping the entire time that the tire doesn't blow up and mangle my face before my baby gets to see me for the first time! (Strange, I know!) Once that was done, I headed back home and made it safe and sound with the trailer still attached!
So let's move on to the professional trucking aspect. There are only a few personal issues that I'd have to work around. First being the fact that I can't stay awake in a car if the ride is longer than 45 minutes! Second, I'm not a fan of switching lanes or making turns when I'm hauling something, but I'm sure they have routes that I could cover that meet those requirements. And third, an automatic transmission since just thinking about driving a regular car with 5 gears gives me a mild anxiety attack. I can't imagine what I would do if there were 10 or 15 gears!
But, on the upside...I enjoy eating fast food (maybe not every night, but often enough), I can sleep in tight spaces because everything seems big when you're 5'3" (on a good day!) and I've become very proficient at squatting to use the restroom! So I think I'll try out for the England trucking company first to commemorate Katie's maiden name!
Here is a picture of the monstrosity I had to drive and the garage filled with items to bring up the the lake house. I can't wait until I get to park my car in the garage again!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Okay, this post cracked me up. You are hilarious. And I'm with ya on the driving big trucks thing. Not a fan. But I am seriously impressed with everything you had to do. way to go!!

Amanda said...

You made me laugh so hard! We are just so proud of little Lisa over here. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm I like the sound of this.... Maybe we could drive a rig between Dalls and Louisville... Corprate life is way overrated. Lunches of Jack and the Box tacos and jamming to music. I will discuss this with Erik tonight. And who doesn't want to drive an "England" truck? A Sanfilippo truck would be cool too. People what have trouble pronouncing it though.

Anonymous said...

OMG! You are so funny! Although I think that you would have a little trouble seeing over the steering wheel of the 18 wheeler. But hey if you can manage all that you did, then I'm sure you can do that too.

Ross Family said...

Thank you! How did moving stuff to the lake house go for you guys? How are you feeling Lisa? We are just so excited for you guys.